Saturday, February 8, 2014

7: Becoming One of Those People

I'm starting to get used to the weird looks from people.  As we move through each month of this fasting experiment, there are little things that change in my life.  Slowly, my life is starting to look different.  We're becoming "those" people.

Our lives are becoming less about things, more about memories and people.  We've cleared out a lot of things from our home and life, leaving room to breath and appreciate what we have.  It's harder than you'd think to maintain space in your life.  Some people just don't understand that we are happier with less things.  Even with our trimmed down home, I still managed to fill a hamper with clothes just today from the kids' closets.  Luckily, I know some children who will love to receive them.

As we ventured into Waste Month, the changes kept coming.  I'm trying to make choices that lessen our impact.  I've joined the ranks of those people who bring their own reusable bags to the grocery store.  You'd be amazed how much they can actually hold.  The clerk didn't know what to think about my bag of loose vegetables last time.  I just didn't think that I needed all of those individual bags anymore.  Why get them just to throw them away?  We're keeping the cloth napkins too.  More than once this month I've picked things out of the trash to put them in the recycling bin.  It's second nature now to look for ways to use less.

I really hope that people see our differences.  I want our family to be a subtle example of awareness for the world outside of America.  I hope that we do a better job of caring about people instead of things and become better stewards of everything we've been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment