Wednesday, December 4, 2013

7: Failing at Fasting

It's Day 4 and I've already failed on my media fast. 

On Day 1: I plopped down on the couch and turned the tv on.  Second nature.  The kids were in bed and I wanted to relax.  Luckily the satellite receiver was off and I realized what I did.  To solve that problem--the entire entertainment center is now unplugged and the remotes are put away. 

On Day 3: I let my son cheat.  I was busy working in my office and he asked if he could watch The Cat in the Hat on the computer.  Being distracted, I told him I didn't care.  (I know, great parenting.)  Only after the clip was finished did I realize that he's fasting also for Media Month.  His reply about my mistake, "lucky me."

Today:  I was longing for a distraction.  I wanted the escape of reading a blog post or surfing the internet.  Working for several hours on a project that I couldn't get to work made me exhausted.  So when I sat down to eat a late lunch I automatically looked for the tv remote.  Realizing it was put away, I got out my devotional.

My computer and tv are so ingrained in my life that I have to consciously avoid them.  It is so easy for me to fall back into the media trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment