Friday, August 23, 2013

Teaching without a Lesson Plan

Parenthood is not well scripted.  Unless I missed it, the hospital didn't hand out manuals with any of my children.  If they had, we could have dodged some projectile vomit and errant urine on several occasions.  The further we get into parenthood, the more complicated the questions became.  The older our children are, the less they accept vague answers. 

"What does gay mean?" was one of the first big, uncomfortable questions that we faced.  I was so afraid to answer that question.  What is age-appropriate?  How do I answer the question without disrespecting people?  How do I help them to recognize God's plan for marriage and families?  After a good bit of prayer, we started down the path of families--what our family looks like, what the bible says about families--and then to the answer of their question.  I'm not sure what I was afraid of, there was no dramatic moment--just an open, honest discussion about life.  The truth is that life is messy and we all choose how to live.  We are responsible for ourselves, what we teach our children, and if we are willing to live out our faith. 

Deuteronomy 6:7-9 "Impress them [command, decrees, and laws from God] on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates."

Faith is not a Sunday morning activity.  It's not sitting in a church.  My children learn a lot more about life by living with me than they do at church (even though they have awesome teachers).  They watch what I do all the time.  Sometimes it's not a good example.  Every moment that I spend with them (or anyone else) is a teaching moment about life, my character, and what my faith means to me. 

How do I speak?  What do I do?  What do I tolerate?  Am I willing to take a stand?

Learning happens by living, not through lecturing.  My daily life should reflect what I believe even without words.  I may not be able to script our lives but I do have an amazing reference to guide me through.

From Live Second Devotional:
Talk with God  Remind me, every moment of every day, to inspire the life of Second.

No comments:

Post a Comment