Saturday, August 31, 2013

Crazy Likes Company

If 18 year-old me could have seen 32 year-old me, I don't think that she'd believe her eyes.  My path has taken me further into the depths of God's word and opened my eyes and mind to how he views this world and how he wants me to respond.  The deeper I get, the crazier I seem to a lot of people.  There are things that just aren't okay with me anymore--ignoring social issues, making money just to spend it on myself, trying to insulate my family from the realities of this world.  I just can't live that way anymore.  The deepest parts of my soul do somersaults because I can't sit and be oblivious anymore. 

Romans 12:2 "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

When God starts changing your view of the world, a lot people don't understand.  Those who have always known you doubt the changes.  It makes people uncomfortable when my choices are different than their choices.  Some people will pull away. 

This is why "crazy" needs company.  I have been blessed with a crazy friend for more than ten years.  Becky and I are the kind of friends that have shared life's highs/ lows and guard each other's secrets.  We also share an unrest about American excess.  She was with me the first time I went to Guatemala and the first time I went to inner city Philadelphia. 

So when I was telling her about reading Jen Hatmaker's book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess she already knew what I had been thinking--let's do it.  What is it?  It is a 7 month fast against the excess of this comfortable American life.  It is 7 months devoted to becoming more aware of the world outside of ourselves and how we can do more with what we're given--everything we're given.  Each month focuses on a different area of our life --Possessions, Food, Clothes, Media, Spending, Waste, and Stress.

Tomorrow, September 1st, will be our first month and we're doing Possessions.  I'm excited about this month because I love to clean stuff out.  I'm that crazy person who enjoys organizing.  Every member of our family is participating this month because we are greatly blessed with too much!  One of the most important aspects for me this month is that we are going to intentionally find new homes for our items.  Although it would be generous to pack everything up and take it to the Rescue Mission, that seems like an easy way out for me this month.  I want to be intentionally aware of those around me and how I can help them.  My prayer is that God will direct me to those who need our help this month. 

It's going to be a crazy adventure but I'm glad that I have a friend crazy enough to do this with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment