Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Value of Marriage

Over the last few weeks different ideas about marriage have been swirling around my world and it's hard to reconcile them all. 

Let me give you some background.  My wonderful husband was gone for 13 LONG days on business, leaving me manage to 3 kids and work.  I've also been more keenly aware of how so many other people around me choose to either value or devalue their spouses lately.  Yet another group of people seem to view marriage as archaic and unnecessary.  All of the attacks on marriage just make me sad.  There isn't really a better word for it.  Sad because my marriage is one the most treasured relationships that I have and I wish other people would pursue God's marital path.

Genesis 2:18 "The Lord God said, " It is not good for the man to be alone.  I will make a helper suitable for him."

God didn't set out to create a servant for Adam.  He created a helper.  We are called to work together but it's not just about working.  We can hire people to complete any job in our lives but there is a strength in pursuing life with someone.  As I worked through our daily lives the last two weeks I missed the times when Brandon is just home doing life with us--mowing the grass, helping me clean up after supper, sitting on the floor at night with the kids saying prayers, taking care of his normal duties at work--the things that are mundane normally but add stability to our family.

Genesis 2:22 "Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and brought her to the man.  The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man."

Eve was created as an intimate compliment to Adam.  God didn't just form another human from the dust of the earth as he did to create Adam.  Eve was a part of Adam in a way that wasn't duplicated in any other creature that God created.  That difference is significant.  The intimacy of marriage is significant.  Brandon is my best friend who shares my life goals.  He is the one who is always here to support me when life is overwhelming, in a way that no one is capable.  My bond is different with Brandon than with my other closest friends, just as it should be. 

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-11 "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

This pretty much sums up my marriage.  We are working together in all that we do--our marriage, our family, our home, our business, our work in Guatemala--because the two of us are better than one.

This isn't meant to be a fairy tale depiction of marriage.  Marriage is hard work if you want to be successful.  We don't always agree, nor do I think that we should.  Some of our best decisions are made when we combine our differing opinions.  Life has presented very difficult situations that tested our resolve and we perservered.  But, there is no one else that I can imagine spending my life with

I have watched friends struggle with the grief of divorce, seeing their desire to restore a marriage with a spouse who was uninterested.  My short recent stint by myself gave me just a glimpse of their lives as single mothers.  I have so much more respect for the patience and strength that they must channel every day. 

In the end I am thankful for my husband and our commitment.  Each day presents different challenges but the rewards are endless when we set out to make a life that is better for each other first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment