Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sweet Summer Treat

I meant to publish this post a few weeks ago but life happened...

Over the last few years so many of the staples of my kinda stay-at-home mom life have slipped away as I have morphed into the working-at-the-office mom.  Even though I covered my garden with grass seed this year and never got a chance to plant new strawberry plants to replace the old ones that stopped producing, some things must remain. 

In our house--that one thing is homemade Strawberry Jam!  My family acts like the world is coming to a screeching halt if we run out of strawberry jam and gasp! they have to eat store-bought.  I have been making "Aunt Esther's" strawberry jam for at least as long as we've had children.  The recipe originates from Mennonite Country-Style Recipes and Kitchen Secrets by Esther Shank, Brandon's aunt.  I want to share the recipe as an easy and delicious treat.

 
Cap and Rinse Strawberries (about 1 quart per batch).  I make double batches.


Crush Strawberries into a Puree


Combine 2 cups of Crushed Strawberries with 4 cups of Sugar until completely combined.  Let stand for 10 minutes.


While the Strawberries stand, mix 1 box of regular Sure Jell with 3/4 cup of water in a small saucepan.  Heat the mixture to boiling.  Let boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  

 
Remove from heat and combine with strawberry mixture.  Stir constantly for 3 minutes.  Then ladle into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.


Let the jam sit at room temperature for 24 hours and then freeze.  Makes approximately 4 3/4 cups.
 
 
That was our Friday fun a few weeks ago.  10 batches later, we are stocked for another year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment