Thursday, June 6, 2013

75 Days Left Until School

Today was the first full day of summer vacation.  While I have been awaiting warm weather and the advent of summer, I am also anxious about the end of school. The end of school means that my daughters will be home all day, every day. 

I know that sounds terrible but it's the truth.  There is a part of me that dreads summer vacation.  Don't take that wrong -- I love my children.  The dread comes from the knowledge that I need to find new and creative ways to keep my kids entertained to minimize fighting while keeping up my normal duties and maintaining my sanity.  Instead of 1 assistant, I will now have 3 each day at work.  The combination of a 3 year old who thinks he rules the world at work with his 2 older sisters who think they rule him is toxic some days.  Summer vacation turns his world upside down. 

Here's my plan of attack for Summer Sanity:

1.  Scheduled Separation:  Each of the girls chose one week of day camp.  Aubrey will get to spend a week at volleyball camp in June while Caroline goes to College for Kids in July.  There's 10 days right off the bat where they get to be away from each other.

2.  A Bucket of Fun (I hope!):  I read on another blog about a mom who had a box full of new toys and games saved up for her children's summer vacation.  I stole the idea.  A $5 tub from Target offered the perfect solution for summer activities at work.  A trip to the Dollar Store, Michaels, and Target, along with a walk around our house filled the tub with more than 20 different activities.  New soccer balls, marshmallows and toothpicks to build houses, and water balloons were a start.  I found an unopened croquet set, new paper airplanes, and a paper doll set at our house amongst other stowed away treasures.

Today they spent several hours making plastic bead creations.

3.  An honest talk with God this morning:  As I was reading my devotion this morning it occurred to me that I just needed to ask for help.  I needed to ask for patience and wisdom to help me manage my responsibilities and my reactions.  I need his support to help me better guide my children during the summer and set a more relaxed tone during summer vacation.  I struggle to balance being productive at work, maintaining our house to my standard, and caring for the children, without slipping in my stressed-out, short-tempered, snippy alter ego. 

James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."

My goal is to keep working to find the balance between responsibility and enjoyment.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment