Friday, May 3, 2013

Are Some Lives Worth More Than Others?

On the same day last week I read one article about a group's concern for the welfare of the suspect from the Boston bombing during his detention and then a second article about an abortion doctor who is being prosecuted for the deaths of a mother and several babies.  Something is amiss in this world.  We have allowed the life of one person to be more important than others.  We have legislated that unborn babies are not people whose lives are valuable. 

I don't believe in torture even though I know that sometimes interrogation can lead to valuable information.  I struggle with the idea of the death penalty even for heinous crimes.  So I understand that the bombing suspect should be treated with a level of decency.  Even with decency though, he should be prosecuted fully and his punishment should be serious.  This man certainly had no concern for the lives of those who were killed or injured when his bombs detonated.  What are we if we torture in the justice? 

Matthew 5:44 "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

What I can't fathom is how anyone could kill a baby.  This doctor is accused of performing late term abortions in a dirty clinic without concern for the mothers or babies.  Allegedly women were left for hours waiting on their procedures.  Abortions were supposedly performed after 24 weeks.  At just 17 weeks, I felt my oldest daughter move in my belly for the first time.  At 19 weeks, I got to see her on the sonogram, my little girl with 10 fingers and 10 toes.  Former clinic employees allege that some babies were born alive and then had their spinal cords "snipped" to insure their demise.   

Psalm 139:13 "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb."

Why isn't everyone in this country demanding justice for the most innocent lives?  Why aren't we doing more to help these desperate mothers whose last resort was a dirty clinic?  Is a terrorist really more valuable than a beautiful baby or a scared mother? 

No comments:

Post a Comment