Tuesday, April 9, 2013

There Really Is Nothing on TV

As we were all sitting at a table eating breakfast in Antigua I noticed just how my daughters speak.  They don't even realize the tone of their voices or their facial expressions.  I know that we hold a large portion of the responsibility for their mannerisms.  As I watched that morning though I started to see the characters of my daughters' favorite tv shows coming out as they talked.  They were using expressions from the teenage characters, rolling their eyes, and shaking their heads.  Where are my cute, innocent girls?  I am not ready for dramatic teens.

I have been struggling for months with the tv shows that my daughters watch.  They are in a No Man's Land of tv programming.  They are too old for their brother's cartoons and too young for the tween dramas after school.  There just doesn't seem to be shows that are engaging for young women while not exposing them to topics or ideas that are too mature for them.  I don't want my elementary age daughters to start thinking about kissing boys or dating.  Already we had to talk about the kids in the second grade who are "dating."  I don't want them to laugh along with the tv when they make fun of the "ugly" sister's appearance.  I don't want them to think that it's ok to sneak behind your parents' back or openly defy our authority. 

I really want my kids to be able to stay young and innocent for as long as possible.  At the same time I need to answer their questions about life because if I don't someone else will.  I don't want my kids to think that the ways of this world and culture are the way that God wants us to live our life.  I need to raise confident daughters who are able to defend their beliefs and not be embarrassed by the difference in their lives.  We are told that we will be different than the world but we must be attractive to those we are called to minister to.  We need to be different for good reasons.  I know what it was like to be uncool as a child.  I don't want the kids to feel like an outcast but I don't want them to be a part of the crowd either.

John 15:19  "The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you."

The answer for now is using the DVR for The Cosby Show and one acceptable tween show.  So far they are playing outside more, building cool Lego towns, and playing Mario Brothers with their father.  They don't seem to miss the tv too much--yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment