Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spoiled Rich Americans

Everything that I do today reminds me of how spoiled I am.  I slept in my big comfy bed last night.  (which I really did miss)  I used my bathroom that is right beside my bedroom, not outside.  I drove the girls to school in my nice car. 

We talked about how great it would be if Andreas could home with us on one of our trips to see America.  As I think about that idea I am uneasy about how much we have compared to his family.  How would he react if he saw the luxury of where we live?  How can we explain our excess to those who have so little? 

Even driving home from school this morning made me think of San Antonio.  We have wide streets with parking on both sides.  They have streets that barely allow for two cars to pass.  We have lawns and space where they have eroded dirt and metal for fences between lots. 



What's most enviable about Guatemala is that they are so content and happy in their homes.  Without the distractions of American life, our kids easily played and made memories that are priceless. 





We have to balance our lives with providing for the needs of those who are not as fortunate.  We have seen the needs of those in Guatemala and it is now our responsibility to help them.  If we don't share our experiences we are slighting the families who mean so much to us.

Proverbs 24:12 "Don't excuse yourself by saying, "Look, we didn't know." For God understands all hearts, and he sees you. He who guards your soul knows you knew. He will repay all people as their actions deserve."

No comments:

Post a Comment