Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Countdown has Begun

Somehow, the winter months have flown by and it's already March.  I can barely remember January and February.  March means that in a few short weeks, we will all be on an airplane headed to Guatemala.  The plane tickets and hotel were booked last fall when traveled seemed so far off.

Now that we are just weeks away, the reality is hitting me--a mix of excitement and anxiety.  I love going to Guatemala.  The e-mail with pictures of the children who the girls will be hosting at a party make me excited for the kids to make connections with the children in the village.  I can't wait to spend time with my friend again.  She is so fun to be with and has such a passion for the work she is doing.  Since we are traveling during Santa Semana (Holy Week) I want to fully experience the beauty and extravagance of the celebration in Antigua. 

Edwin will be a guest at the party.
Gabby will also be our guest.
As I sleep, anxiety creeps in.  One night I had a dream that we were carjacked.  I worry that the children, especially my son, will have a hard time with the cultural differences--the language, the food.  What if the kids don't connect with the children of the village?  What if they are overwhelmed or afraid when we get there?  What if they don't love Guatemala like I do?  Plus, there's so much work to be accomplished before we leave, supplies to buy, and bags to pack.  Not to mention, estudio espanol! 

I won't be naive about what are real dangers in a less developed country but I will not be scared off from doing God's will.  We are told to Go and we will listen.  We will work as a family, sharing our blessings to improve the lives of other families.  We will give our time and use our gifts for others. 

The Lopez Hernandez Family will soon be receiving a new home.

I will continue to trust that our trip will be what God has planned.  Please pray for our family as we prepare and travel.  Please also pray that the hearts of those who we meet are open to hear God's word as we work in San Antonio Aguas Calientes.  More than new clothes and new homes, people need to hear the promise of salvation.

1 comment:

  1. Your family will be a blessing. If God has called you to go, then He'll take care of the obstacles and fears. I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete