Thursday, February 21, 2013

Obedience Takes You Places

I am the example of Type A personality.  Sometimes that is my greatest asset, sometimes my worst enemy.  If there is a problem to be fixed, most times I can ignore the emotions and just make decisions and reach a solution.  At other times, I am so busy planning my life that God needs to place some roadblocks to get me to stop and pay attention. 

Almost ten years ago I was going to take the world by storm.  I had a great job that I loved, was happily married, and had worked my way in a leadership position with a state organization.  There was talk about being the first woman elected Chairman and the first from our state on the national board.  I fed off the attention and success so much that I was willing to put our family on hold to reach my goals.  If only I could reach one milestone; I could apply for a selective leadership program and be on my way to a national platform.  I didn't make that milestone even though I prepared more than for any other opportunity.  I didn't make the cut but looking back that was for the best.  Success would have meant traveling without my husband around the country and delaying our family.  It also would have happened in the middle of a very difficult situation with my extended family.  I needed to be home during that time.

A few years later I thought I figured out the plan again.  I was sure that traveling to Cambodia and adopting from Vietnam was what I was supposed to do.  Even though these plans were generous and well intended, it still wasn't the right path.  The Cambodia trip never materialized beyond someones good idea and adoption from Vietnam was suspended.  Asia wasn't the answer either. 

Another three years and I found the answer--Guatemala.  Not a country I would have considered before but where I was meant to go.  Guatemala was the place where I would find my answers.

James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Read my guest post at My Crazy Adoption for more of the answers I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment