Friday, February 8, 2013

A Child's Dream

My daughters recently studied the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King at school.

Dr. King used his faith as a guide to promote justice for an entire segment of disenfranchised citizens through the Civil Rights Movement.  He worked for almost 13 years to promote equality and justice for all people.  Not only did he lead the movement towards national desegregation but he also formed the "Poor Peoples Campaign."  His campaign promoted a multiracial effort to advance economic equality. 

Consider these excerpts from his famous "I Have a Dream" speech on August 28, 1963.

"I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream."
 
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
 
"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."
 


 


Genesis 1:27 "God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

I can only say that I was unbelievably proud of my daughter when she brought this paper home.  If only we all could have the faith and courage of a child...

No comments:

Post a Comment