Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Obedience is Scary

I've been reading the book Radical lately and it really stirs unrest in me about the church in this country.  We have become so comfortable in our easy American lives that we can justify our prideful, judgemental ways.  We choose to give to worthy causes instead of becoming uncomfortable and actually giving ourselves.  We choose to allow a small group of people who are "called" to be missionaries to meet the needs of the less fortunate or undesirable.  By our inaction we act as the judge of who is worthy of the gospel and message of salvation.

All of this to say that as I read this book and become restless about the American Nightmare that permeates our churches, we too are being pushed and challenged.  An opportunity has presented itself for us to be obedient but I am scared.  If it becomes reality, it will challenge our family's personal comfort.  It will force us into the middle of a difficult situation. 

If we are willing, it can change the life of others.  It provides the opportunity to be a light for those in the depths of life's challenges.  But it will not be easy or comfortable.  My Type A personality worked overtime all night trying to map out the best implementation of the possible situation.  How will everything work?  There is a lot of unknown but all the fears that go through my mind are trivial.  The losses are of this world but the gain is eternal.  What is most ironic is that while I am fearful, my husband is at peace. 

Matthew 28: 19-20 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

If I truly want to live radically and live the Great Commission, I need to trust.  The gift of salvation is not just for middle to upper income white American Christians.  We are called to all nations, all races, all income levels, even the roughest areas.  He promises to be with us while we are on this journey.  This opportunity is a test of my faith and trust in God's plan.  For now, we pray and wait to see if we are needed.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for following Christ as a family...

    and mostly in the very midst of real fears and internal wrestles with doubt and struggles...

    The fact that you even struggle with such things is a step beyond majority of the Christian Americans...

    Thankful for your family :)

    ReplyDelete