Thursday, December 20, 2012

The New Normal in Schools

My daughters got off the bus this evening with an alarming story.  They had spent part of their afternoon huddled in a classroom bathroom and behind the risers in a music room.

I received a telephone call this afternoon stating that due to police activity in the neighborhood the schools had been placed on modified lockdown this afternoon.  Modified lockdown is common when there is police activity in the area and requires everyone to stay in the school and eliminates visitors. This was more than modified lockdown.  According to my daughter, it was lockdown followed by modified lockdown.

I appreciate the staff's efforts to keep my children safe but I can't help but be sad that not even school is safe anymore.  Beginning this week, classroom doors are always closed and locked now.  The girls told about other children who were crying.  My oldest daughter said that she was shaking.  They were both afraid.

I must admit though that I was proud of my daughter who said that she prayed while crouching behind the risers.  Luckily, it was a false alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment