Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why Vote?

Our omniscient God already knows what the outcome of this election will be. He will not be waiting up for the news agencies to project the winner. He knew the name of the winner before the first person announced his candidacy.  Even if your chosen candidate doesn't win, we must remember that this is all a part of God's greater plan for all of mankind.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established." Romans 13:1

Earlier this afternoon, my son and I headed to a local school and cast our ballot for the General Election.  In recent weeks, I have heard several people say that they weren't going to vote because it didn't matter.  As we were recording my choices and opinions about the future I thought about what voting really means to me.  I don't live in a battleground state, my single vote will not sway a full state's electoral college votes, but my opinions are still important.

If we all chose to forgo voting because our single vote didn't matter, entire segments of the population could be forgotten.  My vote is a public statement about my beliefs, my vision for my county, my state, and my country.  My vote is my chance to take a stand for biblical truths in this world of wavering convictions.  My vote is just one of a segment that needs to be quantifiable so that we are not forgotten and not excluded. 

When the results are tallied, we must remember to first and foremost pray for those who are elected, no matter the party affiliation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment