Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thankfulness

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1Thessalonians 5: 16-18
 
I had the grand illusion of doing one post each day in November centering on thankfulness.  That ship has long since sailed as it is already the 6th but the awareness has not.  Lately, I have been noticing the blessings in my life.


On a recent afternoon, I was sitting at the end of the lane, waiting on the bus, admiring the field of corn blowing in the breeze.  Growing up on a farm, I knew that I wanted to live on a farm.  I wanted the space, the freedom, and the beauty of a farm.  Life has taken over and for the last several years, I just speed in and out of the lane, not slowing down to see the beauty that literally surrounds me.  Friends from the city have come to visit and they are amazed by the tranquility.  I take it for granted.  Some days I couldn't even tell you how tall the corn was and I had just walked right past it to get in my car.  How could I have become so removed from a lifestyle and industry that had been fundamental to my childhood and early career? 


When I slow down I can see the peace and refuge that I have been longing for.  I need to make sure this home and farm is a refuge for our family-- a place to be safe and free away from the world.  Even in the midst of life, God provides for our needs--in all circumstances, there is joy if you look.  Sometimes, it even shows up as a corn field that reminds you of who you really are...




No comments:

Post a Comment