Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful for 12 Years of Marriage

For the last four days, I have been a deer hunting widow.  Although the rational portion of my mind knows that my husband deeply enjoys time at the cabin with his friends each year, I still hate when he goes.  I know that he needs time away where he can really relax but that doesn't make me miss him any less.  I imagine that some wives may find a week alone to be a gift but I would much rather have him home with us.  I guess I'm just jealous like that. 

These few days every year give me a small glimpse of what a single parent endures.  Meeting every one's needs while maintaining our household and still working makes me appreciate even more the contributions that my husband makes to our family.  Our family operates best when we are all here. 

I know that he is the one that God chose for me.  We often joke that no one else would put up with either of us.  My marriage is the best gift that I have ever received, apart from Christ's gift of salvation.  While we were engaged we made the commitment to each other that divorce was not an option for our marriage.  I realize that seems like a hopeful and naive statement to be made by two young people but it is what we believed then and still stand by today.  The choice to honor our covenant means that we choose every day to live in a way that honors each other.  We make choices that put each other first because we are greater as a couple than as individuals.  Marriage isn't easy, sometimes it's just plan hard but the benefits are exponentially greater than any bad day.

Today and every day I am thankful for a husband who not only leads our family but stands beside me at the same time.  He manages to be my friend, business partner, and the devoted father to our awesome children simultaneously. 

The first 12 years have been an adventure, here's to the next 12!

1 comment:

  1. :) congrats on the first twelve...

    Thankful for couples like you who love The Lord in your love for one another.

    ReplyDelete