Friday, September 28, 2012

Why I Work

Several months ago I overheard a discussion about why mothers should not work.  I was astounded by how critical they could be towards another sister who was making a choice for her family.  There are so many reasons why we choose to work and I was shocked and offended by the level of judgement. 

I will admit that for much of this year I have been "overemployed." Our family goal is to reduce the number of hours that I work but my workload can be quite varied.  Setting aside extenuating circumstances, I would still choose to work. 

God has blessed me with a wonderful husband and three beautiful children who are at the heart of the decisions that we make.  To truly embrace who God created me to be, I have to identify all the different parts of me.  One of the strongest parts of me is my drive to achieve and accomplish goals.  I find great satisfaction at work.  Over the course of the last two years, I have regained a small portion of my own self worth by becoming part of a project that has great value for the whole system.  Again I am able to interact with wonderful colleagues who provide me with a variety of opportunities that expand my personal development. 

Working or Staying at Home is a personal family choice.  I don't think there is one right answer for everyone.  Most days I love that I can take my children to work me with.  Some days it is overwhelming to know that I must produce at work while also caring for the kids.  Some days I feel guilty that my children spent their summer at work instead of playing or going to camp.  Today though, my son had a meltdown at work--not because he didn't want to be there, because he couldn't stay longer and ride along on a delivery.  Without work, I wouldn't feel fulfilled.  I am a better wife and mother when I am able to work. 

We have only to look to Proverbs 31 to find that we all have value when we embrace and pursue our God-given gifts and talents. 

Proverbs 31:15 "She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family..."

Proverbs 31:16 "She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard."

Proverbs 31:24 "She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes."

Proverbs 31:27 "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness."

I will never be able to embody all the attributes of the Proverbs 31 Wife but I know that I have the freedom and responsibility to live in a way that best exemplifies what Christ created me to be--

A Wife, A Mother, A Businesswoman

All the time, a warrior in this world living radically.

Proverbs 31:30-31 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.  Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

No comments:

Post a Comment